How much sleep is enough sleep for the average person at night?
Researchers say 7-9 hours for someone 18 years or older. But more then 40% of Americans sleeps less then what is recommended a night. Researchers at the University of California, San Francisco discovered that some people have a gene that enables them to do well on six hours of sleep a night. This gene, however, is very rare, appearing in less than 3% of the population. For the other 97% of us, six hours does not come close to cutting it.
When you don’t get enough sleep how do you feel the next day throughout the day?
There are many signs of a person’s lack of sleep;dozing off, zoning out, bags or darkness around the eyes, and accidents. Lack of sleep can have several effects in your life. You can fall asleep at the wheel. Sleepiness causes depression, causes the skin to age, crankiness, headaches, and can lead to health problems if its ongoing.
Many people have issues falling asleep at night. But there are plenty of remedies out there that you can try. For Example:
- Listen to a relaxing recording of nature sounds or music.
- Do not to drink caffeinated drinks (coffee, soda, energy drinks) after 3 pm in the afternoon.
- Drink warm milk or decaffeinated tea before bed.
- Take a warm shower or bath, but for some people the water wakes them up.
- It all depends on what helps you the most, because everyone is different. What do you do to help you sleep?
Most nights I get about 5-6 hours of sleep. I always tell myself that I will go to bed early but when I go to lay down I am not tired anymore. I also am the type of person who likes to fall alseep with the t.v on because I like to have a little sound in the background. When I try it without the t.v on I can never go to sleep fast as if it was on. I am one of the people that take warm showers before bed. It really does help me sleep like a baby, but my mom on the other hand cant take a shower before bed because then she will be awake all night. One way I help myself to get worn out is to have one good workout a day. Physical exercise helps get your muscles and body moving and the more moving throughout the day makes you more sleepy at bedtime.
I know plenty of people who use sleeping aids, but a lot of them say they are still really groggy in the mornings. The best thing for better sleep is natural sleeping remedies. You just have to get your body in the routine of one of them and make it a good habit.