First-grader caught with heroin in school

First-grader caught with heroin in school


Print page

A first grader who attends Caln Elementary School in Pennsylvania, was caught with heroin in class giving it away to another classmate. A few teachers overheard the child talking about the bags, and later found nine bags of what proved to be heroin, with each bag stamped, “Victoria’s Secret“.  The child said he found it on the school property, but later admitted he brought it from home. Two days after being caught, the boy’s 56-year-old grandmother was arrested on charges of endangering the welfare of children and drug offenses for allegedly losing track of the heroin while babysitting.

The grandmother said she lost track of it the previous Thursday while she was babysitting her grandson and a 1-year-old baby.  According to the District Attorney’s office they referred her to be a known heroin user. The school didn’t contact 911, or emergency personnel to check all the kids to make sure they were OK.   This should have been done, even if none of them ingested the substance. The District Attorney on this case did not find out anything about this until it was posted on the media on Saturday. District Attorney Tom Hogan, faulted the school system for what he characterized as its “late and vague notification to parents about a ‘dangerous and illegal’ substance,” and failing to alert his office or the children’s parents. The Grandmother was arrested Sunday and her bail was set at $25,000.

English: Main long-term effects of heroine, in...
English: Main long-term effects of heroine, including the effects of the contaminants common in illegal heroin. (See Wikipedia:Heroin#Usage and effects). References: Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP): Heroin Facts & Figures Retrieved on 11 February, 2009 Model: Mikael Häggström. To discuss image, please see Template talk:Häggström diagrams (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I don’t understand why the school did not contact any of the parents nor the police. I cant think of any schools in Fairfax county that would react in this way.  It only makes sense under the conditions of what had happened that the responsible thing to do is inform all caretakers. I can not believe that the grandmother had that much heroin in her possession.  To bring the bags to the place she is babysitting is so irresponsible. The article referred her to be a known heroin user, but with that much of it I would not doubt that she was selling it.  For a drug user to loose their drugs is n0t normal. This is because a drug user will loose everything else in the world but never ever misplace their drug of choice.  So that just makes me think she was a seller and not a user.   Drugs can be helpful if properly prescribed by a doctor however it seems that many people associated with man made drugs are irresponsible and the illegal market for using these types of drugs is out of control.

Heroin syringe
Heroin syringe (Photo credit: Thomas Marthinsen)