Pregnant? The Government Can Help.



Print page

Pregnancy is one of life’s greatest gifts. Many people love the fact that they are pregnant. But what happens if you don’t have a job or anyway to support the child and you still want to keep it? Well there are many programs that offer government assistance.

For example, you do not need to pay for health insurance if you apply with Medicaid. Medicaid is there for many different types of people and not just the old. They offer good insurance for the expectant parents so they can go to the doctors and the hospital and get the right medication that they need.

There is also an organization called WIC and USDA National Hunger Clearinghouse. These two organizations are there for people who don’t have the money to go out and buy food. Not just for you but also for the baby up to five years old. This can help with paying for the babies food, and the right fruits and veggies and other healthy products for both you and your child.

There is also Maternal and Child Health Bureau. This organization is for medical care, support, and advise for the to be mother. You can also look at Head Start. Head Start is there to help you find free or low cost child care. They even had a hotline to help you quit smoking if you are a smoker.

There are so many good government services out there for those who need the help. Even if you do not need as much help as others, it will still help you with the baby supplies and help you get started with your newborn. Below are the numbers that you can call for the help.

Virginia Medicaid: 1-855-242-8282

Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP): 877-543-7669

WIC: 703-830-6100

USDA National Hunger Clearinghouse: 866-348-6479

Maternal And Child Health Bureau: 800-311-2229 (baby)

Head Start: 866-763-6481

Child Care Aware: 800-424-2246

National Quitline: 800-784-8669 (800- QUIT NOW)

Text4Baby: Text BABY to 511411 or for Spanish BEBE