How Too Much Pizza May Affect Kids’ Health

Edu_Knight

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Print page

Teens and children eat pizza more often than adults but experts advise reducing kids’ consumption of pizza because it could raise their risk for unwanted health conditions.  ( Public Domain )

Pizza is very popular among American kids. Studies have in fact revealed that children  eat pizza more often than adults but some experts have raised concerns over this food and advised parents to watch out for how much children’s are consuming.

The researchers found that even though the amount of calories that children consume from pizza has dropped by 25 percent from 2003 to 2010, the food is still a favorite part of the children’s diet with about 20 percent of children and teenagers eating pizza any day.

During the days when children eat pizza, they also end up taking in increased amount of saturated fat, more salt and more calories all at once. When teens eat pizza, they consume about 230 more calories and 484 milligrams of sodium, while younger kids consume about 84 more calories and 134 milligrams of sodium than during the days when they do not eat pizza.

Kids also tend to consume more saturated fat when the pizza is on the table and all these have unwanted implications. Increased salt, calorie and saturated fat intake could lead to unwanted health consequences such as heart disease and obesity, which has become very prevalent among children in the U.S.

The researchers advised that parents avoid giving pizza to children between snacks and that should it be given as a meal, pizza should be made of healthy ingredients and served with vegetables and salads as well as lean mean to reduce the number of slices that children would consume. Experts also recommend making pizza at home rather than ordering to have control over how it is made.

Overall pizza is one of the many “fast foods” that kids are dealing with that are destroying their health. Americans tend to be aware of how bad pizza and many of the other harmful foods are but they aren’t keeping it away or at least trying to reduce how much their kids consume. It seems as if Americans don’t really believe the consequences until they see them.

link of featured image: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/27569/20150120/pizza-is-bad-for-kids-health-heres-why.htm

link of article: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/27569/20150120/pizza-is-bad-for-kids-health-heres-why.htm

link of video: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/pizza-impact-kids-health-28321512

6 Comments

6 Responses to “How Too Much Pizza May Affect Kids’ Health”

1. QueennnM on January 31st, 2018 9:29 am

I love pizza but I defiantly did not know that you can get major health consequences such as a heart disease and increase of obesity.
    I totally agree with the researchers that parents should advice and avoid giving pizza to children as a snack and that it should be given as a meal and how we need to reduce the number of slices we consume due to all the sodium and health problems it can effect on all of us.

2. puppylove on January 31st, 2018 9:29 am

Pizza has so many negative things inside that’s not good for people’s body. Parents should try to reduce the amount of times they buy pizza for their children. Children’s body won’t have health issues right away but throughout the years and while they’re growing up they will. The older you get the more prone you are to diseases or any mental or physical illness.

3. pollito12 on February 15th, 2018 8:29 am

I personally, I like so much the pizza. I already know that is unhealthy food, but I didn’t know what the consequences that pizza cause. When I read this topic, I learn what cause the pizza as heart disease and obesity. Here is a link that is relate about this topic https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/05/health/pizza-healthy-food-drayer/index.html

4. pollita12 on February 15th, 2018 8:35 am

I like to eat pizza. But didn’t know pizza is dangerous to our health and life.
    I think kids should eat one slide of pizza per week but not often. Parents needs to be aware what kids should eat to be healthy.

5. oceanmtnsky on April 11th, 2018 9:02 am

I remember growing up as a kid, people would always tell me that I am skinny and underweight. Back then I didn’t really care how much I weighted or how much I ate. It took me a long time until I finally realized I had to make a change in my life. It all began in my first year in high school, I was really intimidated of the people in my school because almost all of the students there are mostly into fitness and sports.- MHFooL

6. Roxana19 on April 26th, 2018 8:38 am

I love pizza, its so delicious and of course everybody does. I think eating pizza everyday is not healthy because there is consequences of heart disease and obesity which is not good because you can die. but we can still eat pizza once a while.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • How Too Much Pizza May Affect Kids’ Health

Food

The food inc.

• How Too Much Pizza May Affect Kids’ Health

Education

How different body types respond to weightlifting

• How Too Much Pizza May Affect Kids’ Health

Education

Good nutrition in kids.

• How Too Much Pizza May Affect Kids’ Health

Events & Lifestyle

Dairy may not be healthy after all!

• How Too Much Pizza May Affect Kids’ Health

Current Events

Romaine Lettuce Outbreak

• How Too Much Pizza May Affect Kids’ Health

Food

Milk and Moral

• How Too Much Pizza May Affect Kids’ Health

Current Events

Christmas

• 1-Slider

Fall festival at Mountain View

• How Too Much Pizza May Affect Kids’ Health

1-Slider

How food changed our world and society as well connecting cultures.

• How Too Much Pizza May Affect Kids’ Health